Ingrown hair in scalp is a common problem people face after shaving of head, though in few cases it simply occurs on its own. Ingrown hair is a frequently found in people having curly hair because they become thick and coarse.
Africans and American Africans are more susceptible to suffer from ingrown hair in their scalp as compared to those having straight hair.
In the article below you will find information about ingrown hair on head, its causes, symptoms and treatment.
Ingrown Hair on Head/Scalp
Ingrown hairs on the scalp is a common hair condition. A bump on your head with hair trapped happens when the sharp edges of the hair grow downwards or sideways back cutting into the skin of the hair follicle.
Ingrown hair is said to be harmless but only in some cases where it could lead to scarring, skin discoloration and scar formation.
Ingrown hair scalp cyst
Ingrown hair on scalp cyst is basically a hair follicle cyst also called trichilemmal cyst. It is worthwhile to know that ingrown hair cyst is mostly found on the scalp. These kinds of cysts are smooth in appearance, mobile and are normally filled with keratin.
Infected ingrown hair on scalp/Folliculitis on scalp
Scalp folliculitis is an inflammatory disorder of hair follicles which appears on scalp as small, itchy and cause trouble on the frontal hair line on the scalp.
In case of bacterial or yeast infection on scalp, the ingrown hair on scalp becomes inflamed causing yellowish or pus discharge that can be painful.
Ingrown Hair on Head/Scalp Causes
Ingrown hair is of two different types:
Extrafollicular penetration grows straight out of the hair follicle then it curls back growing sideways piercing the skin of scalp.
Transfollicular penetration in this way hair grown underneath is trapped in the skin.
An ingrown hair in scalp can be caused by number of reasons but the hair removal methods such as waxing, shaving or tweezing can be the reason of ingrown hair on scalp. Below are the main the causes of ingrown hair on your head.
• Bacterial and fungal infection
• Sebum, dirt, grease, makeup and comedogenic skin care products
• Tightly curled hairs
• Dry skin
• Chemicals causing skin irritation
• Tweezing and waxing
• Frictions from clothing
• Shaving too closely
Ingrown Hair on Head/Scalp Symptoms
Ingrown hairs usually appear in males facial including the neck. They can appear on the scalp in males who shave their heads. Most common ingrown hairs areas in females are the armpits, pubic area and legs.
Ingrown hairs show symptoms like:
• Embedded hairs
• Skin darkening (hyperpigmentation)
• Small, solid, rounded bumps (papules)
• Small, pus-filled, blister-like lesions (pustules)
Ingrown Hair on Head/Scalp Treatment
Ingrown hair on scalp usually heals on its own without necessarily treatment. However, there can be severe trapped hair or bump on scalp. The bump of ingrown hair is similar to pimples with pus in it. The ingrown hair is usually found in middle of bump.
Here are some treatment options for ingrown hair on the head.
• Apply turmeric powder mixed with honey over the lesion. Both have natural antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties.
• A hot compress over head is useful to drain the pus out of the bump. Once the bump is burst, pull out the ingrown end of hair with tweezers or with a sterilized needle.
• Once you have removed the material and clean the area with antiseptic solution to prevent bacteria entering the lesion.
• Apply tea tree oil to heal the bump. Due to its antibacterial action, tea tree oil can prevent secondary infection.
• Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory properties that assists reduce inflammation and soothe the infected ingrown hair. Apply the apple cider vinegar on the affected area with cotton swab Wash the hairs and gently massage your scalp and affected area with antibacterial soap or shampoo.
• Apply topical cream on the infected area prescribed by the doctor.
• Big infected ingrown hair on your scalp can be removed through surgical procedure to prevent it from spreading deep into the skin.
Hopefully the above given treatments will help you to get rid of Ingrown Hairs on Head/Scalp.